A couple of years ago, there was an electrical issue in an old castle. The work required us to retrofit the lighting in the castle. Despite our efforts to anticipate a certain level of monthly savings and expenditures, we were unable to meet the specified goal. (more on this)
Also, during that time, we got a request from a local school board. As it turned out, their motors were failing one of the schools, and no one could identify the reason why. To identify the problem, we left a couple of our analyzers on the school premises for 7 days for monitoring and recording. We found out that when the load dropped in the evening (due to the fact that the school was empty), the utility voltage went off the charts, so much that it damaged the motors.
To assure that this doesn’t happen to you you can searc electrician near me and you will find House Electric
We provided our findings to the LDC. They said carrying out a full-scale replacement for the transformers would be too costly, as some transformers cost as much as $40,000.
The LDC’s conclusion didn’t sit so well with me. Having three transformers fail at the same time is an improbable scenario. My client suggested that we check out another of their schools, within walking distance from the first school.
As I expected, the higher voltage was still an issue there.
From our investigation, we found out that the LDC had recently replaced a transformer station, which increased the voltage of the first consumer on the same line.
And guess what, our castle project was on the same line.
By putting on our thinking caps and following the hints, our project took us on a journey. First, we started with the castle and lighting …