When we talk about steroids, the first thing that might come to our mind is that steroids are consumed by bodybuilders to increase muscle mass. Although bodybuilders often take it, steroids have other benefits. Still citing research conducted by Jay Hoffman and Nicholas Ratamess, the main advantages of anabolic steroids are as follows:
– Increased muscle tissue due to increased protein synthesis
– Reduces body fat percentage
– Increase strength and muscle strength
– Helps body recovery from injury and exercise
– Increases bone mineral density
– Better muscular endurance
– Increase the production of red blood cells
Of course, these benefits can be felt by certain groups of individuals.
a. Benefits for Athletes in Speed and Power
In the world of sports, athletes continue to look for ways to continue to excel in various competitions. While strength training and nutritional intake have progressed, some athletes prefer to consume performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs). Steroids are a form of PEDs consumed by athletes. Even research published in the journal Sports Medicine explains that PEDs are proven to be able to increase muscle mass, which leads to speed and energy. In the study, athletes taking steroids increased in strength by 5-20% and increased body weight by 2-5 kg, which was caused by an increase in lean muscle mass, stéroïdes légalement – lecorpsshop.fr
In a study published in the journal Sports Medicine, the researchers explained that in sports that focus on strength, such as bodybuilding, powerlifting, and weightlifting Olympics, anabolic steroids are widely consumed to increase muscle mass, strength, and energy. In this case, strength, mass, and muscle power are directly related to the overall performance of the body’s muscles. Although in the bodybuilding competition, the most attention is the size of the muscle mass based on the category followed, but other factors are also considered, such as muscle strength.
The dose of anabolic steroid consumption in bodybuilding athletes tends to be more involved because many federations do not test or dispute it. The side effects will increase if it is consumed with high doses. Some athletes who take steroids use the “stacking” strategy, a term for mixing several types of anabolic steroids. Even some athletes also include other synthetic hormones, such as muscle growth hormone and insulin.
c. Benefits for those who suffer from muscle disease
In more competitive sports, the steroid dosage used tends to be conservative enough to avoid detection results. The study, entitled Brain connectivity aberrations in anabolic-androgenic steroid users, states that muscle mass is not an otama concern in this case, because athletes prioritize recovery and increased strength. Although most sports have prohibited the use of steroids, some athletes feel the risk of punishment is commensurate with the benefits felt due to steroid consumption, for more information: https://lecorpsshop.fr/
b. The Benefits for Athletes in terms of Increased Strength and Muscle Mass
Several conditions cause loss of muscle mass, such as AIDS, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, cancer, kidney, and liver disease. Quoting from research published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, although anabolic steroids have the potential to cause unusual side effects, steroids can be taken for these sufferers to help maintain muscle mass. The researchers explain that loss of muscle mass is closely related to death from these diseases, and steroids can prevent it from being able to improve therapeutic results and prolong life. Although anabolic steroids are not the only method to maintain muscle mass, the benefits are beneficial for sufferers of the disease. However, the potential side effects must still be considered.
Some Potential Side Effects
Despite the benefits associated with anabolic steroids, these substances still have the potential to have side effects whose severity varies depending on the extent of the body taking them. Genetic factors also affect the body in responding to anabolic steroids. The anabolic-to-androgenic ratio varies between different types of steroids, which can ultimately affect adverse reactions. Based on Kicman, A. T. In his book entitled Pharmacology of anabolic steroids, anabolic refers to the nature of muscle growth, while androgenic refers to the potential development of characteristic male traits. The main side effects associated with using anabolic steroids are as follows:
1. Increased risk of heart disease. Payne, J. R., in his research entitled Cardiac effects of anabolic steroids, explained that anabolic steroids used in combination with resistance training could increase the size of the heart’s left ventricle, and blood pressure. This can trigger the risk of heart disease and death.
2. It can increase aggressive behavior. A group of researchers from the Ichan School of Medicine, New York, explained that steroid use had been linked to increased aggression and impulsivity in adolescent boys and adult men.
3. It can affect body image. Based on research published in the journal Current Neuropharmacology, the use and dependence of anabolic steroids are classified as body image disorders in manual diagnostics for mental illness disorders.
4. It can cause liver damage. A study entitled Hepatotoxicity associated with illicit use of anabolic-androgenic steroids in doping concluded that anabolic steroids, especially those taken orally, were proven to increase the risk of liver dysfunction.
5. It can cause gynecomastia. Research published in the journal Mayo Clinic Proceedings reports that when the body stops taking anabolic steroids, the risk of gynecomastia can increase. Gynecomastia is defined as swelling of breast tissue in men caused by hormonal imbalances.
6. Decreased testosterone production. Johnson, R. E., and Murad, M. H explain that steroid use is associated with hypogonadism, which is characterized by shrinking and reducing testicular function.
7. It can cause infertility. Based on research entitled Anabolic steroids abuse and male infertility, the use of steroids can cause infertility because of its potential to reduce sperm production.
8. It can cause baldness in men. Based on research conducted at Baylor College of Medicine and published in 2016, found that androgenic effects of anabolic steroids can cause or worsen alopecia in men. This effect can vary depending on the type of steroid used.